When you use Instagram, have you noticed there’s a 1-sec delay between opening the app and seeing your notifications?
That’s no mistake or lag, it’s designed for dopamine rushes. This is one way companies gamify experiences.
American adults spend 11+ hours per day listening to, watching, reading, and interacting with media (Nielsen, 2018). Some people read this and see a wealth of opportunity, but they forget that keeping those adults in one place for longer than a few seconds is a Mount Everest of a challenge.
How will companies do it?
1. Offer rich, playful experiences
2. Make the experience seamless between steps
3. Plan moments that will reward users with dopamine rushes
4. Give users a hierarchy/leaderboard to encourage competition
5. Create a community that encourages engagement
One way not to do it: one-way communication.